Saturday, November 13, 2010


River

The force that endured,
that raged,
that cut through
and created
the Grand Canyon
is hard to visualize.

Her eyes were a river’s ribbon
of steely blue
raging
and cutting through
five hundred years
of brown-eyed Turkish domination,
somehow enduring
to flow into my veins.

“Luba” ~
the Macedonian word
for love ~
in any language:
complicated.

I loved her sweet smile,
her crocheted treasures,
Christmas cookies
like no others,
the twinkle in her eye;
yet never did she let me in,
her magic and her mystery
were her own,
I could see
that all her love and loyalty
rested only with her son
not her daughters
(one, my mother):
I did not like him.

Strange accent and strange beliefs;
her past distorted
and unknown to me,
her perspective
from another time and place,
my love was tinged by distance
that I could not cross;
never as close to her
as to my other grandmother,
whose sweet sad elegance
seemed more familiar.

Her complications conspired
to preserve the reserve
from which she saw the world;
it rarely cracked.
I could not see
her protective wall
for what it was;
her strength escaped me,
only later would I see it,
could I know it,
long after she was gone,
and my own steely-eyed children
chose their middle names
Luba and Alexander ~
their homage
to a Macedonian past,
and her.

I can see her reserve
in their eyes;
I know now,
finally
what she saw,
understanding
what lay behind
her laughter ~
it had its own accent,
an echo down through time,
that mirrored the twinkle
in her ice-blue eyes ~
like a river,
raging,
cutting,
like a secret flash,
enduring wisdom,
a knowing unshared
like the never-revealed
ingredient in a recipe ~
her secret,
she alone
knew the punchline.

I survived.”



© ACG
13 November 2010

No comments :