Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Dragon



Dragon

The modern cave is sterile,
Quiet as a tomb,
Distant voices blurring,
Echoing this room;

Footfalls coming softly,
Perhaps a warning squeak,
Tense anticipation,
Exposed, once more I’m weak;

No sound escapes my lips,
No movement in my limbs,
A broken shell I lie here,
The Dragon lies within;

The Dragon gnaws in hunger,
It grows in strength and speed,
It feeds upon my body,
It satisfies its needs;

Wherefore rides my Bold Knight?
O, my saviour, my dream?
Wherefore his Shining Armor?
Hope’s a dimming gleam;

In the midnight hour, he comes
With Sword of Death held high,
One swift battle ends it,
I feel the Dragon die;

As his final fiery breath expels
And mingles mine above;
I embrace my Knight, Sweet Death,
My own and one true Love.


© ACG
19 July 2006

No comments :